Tag Archives: Edwin Hergesheimer

- Sneak Peek: April 18 Voorhees Lecture

The 2015 Alan M. and Nathalie Voorhees Lecture on the History of Cartography will be held at the Library of Virginia on Saturday, 18 April.   This year’s lecture features two guest speakers: Dr. Susan Schulten will speak on “The Sectional Crisis and The Reinvention of Cartography,” and Cassandra Britt Farrell will give a talk entitled “Field of Battle:  A Changing Landscape.”  This event includes a special one-day exhibition of maps relating to the talks from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Today on Out of the Box we present a sneak preview of two of the maps from the Library’s collection that will be on display.


Map by Edwin Hergesheimer representing the distribution of slaves in Virginia, based on information gleaned from the U.S. Population Census of 1860. LVA Call Number G3881.S5 1861 .G7.

The above map by Edwin Hergesheimer represents the distribution of slaves in the commonwealth based on information gleaned from the U.S. Population Census of 1860. Gray tints indicate the percentage of slaves in each county, highlighting a significant regional difference between the northwestern counties, labeled “Kanawha,” with the Tidewater and Southside.  This map was copyrighted in 1861 by Henry S. Graham and “Sold for the benefit of the sick and wounded [soldiers] of the U.S. Army.”


MAP OF THE LOWER VALLEY. Copied by C.W. Oltmanns, 1863, from the original by Samuel Howell Brown. LVA Call Number G3882.S52 1863 .B7.

In 1863, C.W. Oltmanns, a Confederate topographical engineer, copied the above Map of the Lower Valley from the original drawn by Samuel Howell Brown. Both men worked for Jedidiah Hotchkiss, the chief of General Stonewall Jackson’s topographical staff. It identifies the names of residents … read more »

Posted in Maps
Also tagged in: , , , ,
Leave a comment
Share |