Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Campbell County Historical Society Chronicle, Vol. III, No. 4.

image 1 of 3

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

Campbell County Historical Society Chronicle Vol. III , No. 4, October 1992

A CONDENSED HISTORY OF EARLY EDUCATION AND SCHOOLS FOR NEGROES IN CAMPBELL COUNTY by Ursula Trent Burchell

In the early days of education, many classes for Negro children were held in churches in the community or in an old log cabin donated by a landowner in the community.

Before 1925, there were many small one or two room schools. This information was compiled by retired teachers who had taught in some of the communities and by interviewing interested citizens like Mrs. Alice Payne Trent (who will be 92 years old in November 1992) and Miss Eliza W. Grisby (who was 92 years old in September 1992).

There were some interesting facts learned about the early schools. The school year started the first Monday in October and closed the first week in March. The basic curriculum was reading, writing and numbers. The parents of the community often had to supply wood to heat the school or pay half of the cost for fuel and upkeep for the school. The furniture was hand made. There were no toilet facilities. Often the children walked many miles to get to school. In bad weather they stayed home.

There are the communities where the early schools were found: Altavista, Archer Creek (6 Mile Bridge), Bent Creek, Bocock, Bradley, Brookneal, Brownsmill, Brownstown, Calvary, Candler Mountain (Flat Creek), Chapel Grove, Duiguid (Long Mountain), Gladys, Hancock, Hat Creek, Hills Creek, Hunter (serving three families), Jacksontown, Kingston (Hi Point), Lawson, Leesville, Leet, Lynch Station, Martin, Megginson, Naruna, Oak Grove, Pilot Mountain, Rustburg, Suck Creek, Union, Whitehall, and Yellow Branch. These small schools had been in existence--and some disappeared--by 1927.

As time passed, the schools began to receive some state funding and funding from the Jeanes Fund, the Rosenwald Fund, and the Stator Fund to build three-room schools and to improve the curriculum of the schools.