Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Campbell County Historical Society Chronicle, Vol. III, No. 4.

image 2 of 3

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

These Foundations helped to build schools for Negro children throughout the State of Virginia. Before funds were received from these Foundations, the communities had to raise matching funds to build their schools.

By 1927, many elementary schools had consolidated and better educational opportunities were needed for the children. A high school was badly needed. Parents and citizens went to the School Board many times to ask for a two-year high school but were told there was no money for a school. Finally, Rev. Thomas W. Tweedy, a minister and teacher living in Rustburg community, got his concerned neighbor, Gabriel Hunt (an ex-slave and ex-Confederate Soldier) to go with him to the bank where they mortgaged their humble homes for $500.00 to get money to build two additional rooms onto an existing building. Rev. Tweedy was the first principal of the two-year high school from 1927 to 1930. Neither Rev. Tweedy nor Mr. Hunt had children, but they wanted better education for the children. Mr. Hunt could not read or write. The two-year high school became the "Campbell County Training School".

Parents and citizens of Campbell County continued to work to expand the new high school to an accredited four year high school. By 1930, this had been accomplished. The two-year high school, located at the foot of Long Mountain on Route 24 about two miles East of the Rustburg Court House, had now become too small to serve the students who came from all over the County to go to this one high school. Again, the communities and parents worked to buy a twenty-six acre site across the road from the first "Campbell County Training School" and moved across the road to the new location.

Mr. J. J. Fray, Division Superintendent, stated that "by 1950 the Negro High School, located on a twenty-six acre site at Rustburg was one of the outstanding high schools in rural Virginia. Additions have been added, facilities improved and enlarged, and new facilities are under construction. The cooperation of the colored people and the improvements and enlargement of the offering at this school are a source of great satisfaction. The teachers have high preparation qualifications and the principals are dedicated to their work."

In 1952, the name of the Negro High School was changed to "Campbell County High School". The curriculum was expanded with the inauguration of the twelve-year program at the beginning of the 1956-57 session.

In 1969, Public schools in Campbell County were integrated and for the next few years the "Campbell County High School"