Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

"White Hall".

image 1 of 1

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

WHITE HALL Another fine old estate which can be seen from the top of the hill at Long Island (looking north) is "White Hall." White Hall was built by John S. Payne, who was born in 1786 at "Mount Airy" near Marysville, and who was a son of Colonel Phillip Payne, a militia officer. John S. Payne inherited the Flat Creek Quarter of his father's vast estate; there he built his home, and named it after "White Hall" his grandfather's place in Goochland County. White Hall is now owned by J. w. Bridell. "Wheatland," another large estate once owned by the Payne family and more recently known as Long Island Farms, is at Long Island. At the time that Samuel Fannill lived at Green Hill, Long Island was owned by William Clark.