"The Jean House."
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
THE JEAN HOUSE This lovely home did not take on its present appearance until the 1850's or 60's, when the hall and living room were added, joining the left wing of the house to the right and giving it the present appearance. It is believed that a earlier log dwelling stood on this side prior to 1750. In 1750, Michael Pruitt, one of the first settlers here, is believed to have built the earliest part of this house. Today this room is used as a kitchen and located at the rear of this house. There is a small original "pie step" stairway that leads to an upstairs room with the original woodwork, mantel and fireplace. It was sold to Thomas Scott, then to the Nowlin Family around 1780. Between this time and 1860 (it is believed) the second part of the home was built. In 1860, William H. Cook, great grandfather of A. L. Lunsford, who was born here, bought 1,147 acres from the Peyton W. Nowlin estate at the cost of $25,000. At this time or a little earlier the hall and living room were added, the mantel in the living room is of imported Italian marble. It has recently been taken down, cleaned and put back. Mr. Jean says it was something to clean, having been painted a white color and many coats of paint on it. The house has the original wainscoating, note the high windows and high ceilings. A persons wealth was determined by the number of panes in the windows. Glass was an expensive item. In the hallway note the beautiful stairway with its good size landing, the large window above the landing. This stairway leads to a large upstairs hall or parlor with a large step below a large window that opens as a door onto a balcony on the second floor above the front porch. Note the wide and high front doorway with its side lights and the top one being of stained glass. Note the wide door at the back of the hall. In the front yard of the house there is a huge Holly tree with a hand wrought chain around it. This chain was put there prior to the Civil War. A limb broke on the tree and the chain was put there to secure it. It has remained all these years and the tree has grown through and around it, and has not broken the chain. This house has eight fireplaces, two being in the basement. Notice the large brick chimneys, one is American Bond and one Flemish Bond. The older chimney sits on a rock base. This old house could easily be called "Boxwood Lane" because of its many large boxwood. The large stone steps must have been a cool place to sit, on hot summer days and nights. Some of the old outbuildings, not yet restored, still remain from bygone days to become part of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jeans future life.