Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

"Shady Grove".

image 1 of 2

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

Shady Grove Two stations on the Lynchburg and Durham branch of the Norfolk and Western Railway were named for a railway official's daughters - Nathalie in Halifax County and Gladys in Campbell County. Gladys was called Woodlawn when the railroad was first built, but since there was a "Woodlawn" when the C & O Railroad the mail would become confused and the name of Gladys replaced Nelly's Tavern, on the old stage road from north to south, a relay post for the mail which was brought on horseback from Rustburg by Mt. Zion, Marysville and Brookneal. But Gladys had another name in the last century. A young lady from that community years ago went off the fashionable school. She was met, so the story goes, by the headmistress and other members of the faculty, who asked where she was from. "I'm from Pigeon Roost" said the girl to the shocked old ladies, half way between Hell Bend and Rowdy. But the young lady's reply was not as impertinent as may have appeared to uninformed, for all three were very real localities, better known then by the place-names used than they are now, and not as disreputable as the names might imply. Gladys was called "Pigeon Roost" by some, but was better know as "Pigeon Run" in those days, because of the enormous flocks of wild pigeons that used to migrate there yearly and roost in the nearby pine woods at night. In the early daytime they moved through the woods in a huge mass, searching the ground for acorns and other items for food. At night they roosted in the woods. Every fall when the pigeons were in people from all over surrounding country would gather in the "Barrens," as this wooded section was known, coming in wagons, buggies, on horseback and on foot, and set up a big camp from which they hunted the pigeons. The cooing and fluttering of the pigeons, together with the cracking of the tree limbs under their weight, kept a constant noise, and it was by this noise that the hunters would locate the birds. They would creep into the woods after dark and all fire their guns up into the trees, then later search the woods by the light of pine torches and pick up the dead pigeons. When daylight came they would go over and the same ground again and pick up the birds they had missed in the night. Such hunts often netted the group of hunters several wagon loads of pigeons. These wild pigeons, which are now all gone, were once plentiful, and many people are still living can remember them.