Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

"Shady Grove".

image 2 of 2

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

Captain Spotswood Henry owned a fine library which he devoted much time and attention, and this caused him to be regarded as a gentleman of leisure, hence there was originates, in his community, the saying "clerking to Captain Henry" intended to convey the meaning that the person to whom it was applied was without apparent occupation. Shady Grove was acquired by Terrell Morgan, who gave it to his son, Richard, and the latter resided there many years, but later sold the place to Captain William C. Perrow, who moved his family there; later still it was acquired by the Suddith family from Brookneal who still occupy it. Chronicles copyright date 1927. We wish to add, Shady Grove this year 1956, is owned by Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Dotson, who live at Shady Grove.