History of Trinity United Methodist Church, Poquoson, Virginia: 1882-1982, Part 3 of 3.
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
Trinity's Library is one of its latest acquisitions and a very valuable one. In August 1971, a Committee composed of Mary Carmines, Chairman, with members Betty (Forrest) White, Irene (Watkins) Forrest, Annette (Lawson) Forrest, Julie (Everhart) Jayne and Jody Henley, began planning and accumulating what has become and excellent collection of well-rounded literature. A survey of the shelves will show resource material for the church school, history, fiction, science and biography. From the beginning, the organization has been staffed by volunteers. Mary Carmines served as librarian from the opening on August 15, 1973 until 1979 when Mary Jane Graham was appointed her successor. Since its beginning, the library has acquired over one thousand volumes. It is located on the ground floor next to the nursery and is open on Sunday mornings and specified days of the week. At present, two volunteers make up the staff and they will assist any church group or individual which needs time in the facility. Shelves were given by Mary Carmines and the table and four chairs were given by the Women's Society. The needlepoint picture of the Twenty-third Psalm was made and contributed by Mrs. F. M. (Ola Huggett) Lawson. The painting of the cross, candlabra and Bible was given by Mr. and Mrs. E. Burgess (Gladys Holloway) Lawson. Too many books and other items have been donated as memorials to list separately here. 58