History of Trinity United Methodist Church, Poquoson, Virginia: 1882-1982, Part 3 of 3.
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
Nor'easters blowing along the Atlantic Coast are nothing new to the Trinity area. Notes in the diary of a Methodist minister names James, indicates storms with extremely high tides on April 27, 1831; May 31, 1836; March 2, 1846; August 24, 1850; and a "dreadful gust" on September 11 and 12, 1857. Today they are called "hurricanes" and are given names like "Alice" and "Dennis" and we join the meteorologists in tracing their paths north on our maps. There was no such service on August 23, 1933. One of those rascals sneaked in on us almost without warning. The "old heads" among us commented gravely that the tides weren't "behaving right", and the experienced watermen feeling "something in the air", went down to the landings and checked their lines. Before that Wednesday was over, and those winds and tides ceased misbehaving, the Poquoson area, its York County and Hampton neighbors bordering the Back and Poquoson Rivers, found themselves under water. Amory's wharf had been swept away, carrying with it dozens of boats which had been secured on the west side of the dock. Many of these vessels were discovered high and dry on Langley Field where the ware on Andrews Blvd. was chest deep. these boats provided the livelihood of many people and their loss, compounded by the damage to many homes and the loss of much livestock, sorely tried the faith of Trinity's members. Prayers of thanksgiving arose in abundance when investigation showed no loss of human life. 59