History of Trinity United Methodist Church, Poquoson, Virginia: 1882-1982, Part 3 of 3.
Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.
We gave thanks for those who were saved and we wept with those who lost loved ones when the Chesapeake and Ohio train collided with the Poquoson-Hampton bus on the third of November 1924. The minister at Trinity was assisted in visiting those in the hospital by the Rev. Charles McAllister, Rector of St. Johns Episcopal Church; and the Rev. Charles Friend, pastor of Hampton Presbyterian Church, both in Hampton. Old Dixie Hospital was a long way to travel, and there were many grieving families at home. Individuals in the Town of Hampton gave support and sympathy whenever and wherever they could. Hampton officials requested that all town stores close from noon to one o clock on the day of the funerals out of respect for their bereaved customers and friends. In Messick, work came to a standstill as multiple funerals were attended by almost everyone.
Trinity residents killed were William H. Forrest and his son, Essie J. Forrest; Gilbert Insley and his son Floyd, Brothers Albert Nicholson Firman and Waverly Firman, David James Hopkins, whose terminally ill father in the same hospital was not told of his sons death. Joseph M. Hugget died as a result of injuries in the accident.
All of these men, except Albert N. Firman are buried in Western Cemetery. He lies in Eastern Cemetery. 51