Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

History of Trinity United Methodist Church, Poquoson, Virginia: 1882-1982, Part 3 of 3.

image 18 of 29

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

Scouting, both boys and girls units, has been supported by Trinity for many years. A meeting place has been supplied free of charge for each troop sponsored by the church. Early leaders included Clyde Edwards, Ben Wilson Jr., Clarence Evans, Gene Rollins, Prior McPherson, H. G. Forrest Jr., J. W. Diggs, for the boys and Mrs. B. C. (Dorothy) Smith and Mrs. Herman (Irene) Forrest for the girls. Both groups were church and community service oriented. Girls who reached the top rank of Girl Scout achievement included Nancy Burton, Amy Burcher, Teresa Joyner and Libby Forrest. That beautiful thicket of pine saplings in the "Big Marsh", visible from Poquoson Avenue to the east of Lawson road, includes many of the hundreds of seedlings planted by Boy Scout Troop 51 in the early 1960's. Troop 51 granted its first God and Country awards to Mike Herring, Bill and Mark Forrest. Among troop members achieving the Earle award were Dewey Wesley Evans, Essie Ward Jr., Kenneth Forrest, Johnie Shepard and Mark Forrest. The latter was the first to receive this award and he later earned a palm leaf to attach to his Eagle medal. Pryor McPherson, one of Mark's favorite people, kept "forgetting the name of that bird" and referred to Mark as the "troop buzzard", to the young Scout's delight. 63