Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

The Bayonet, 1 March 1918

image 3 of 10

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

"Do It for the Eightieth Divison - Do It for America" THE BAYONET The Official Publication of the Eightieth Division, National Army VOL. I. - No. 22. CAMP LEE, VA., FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 1918 10-PAGE NEWS SECTION 4-PAGE PICTORIAL SECTION PRICE FIVE CENTS


3,000 Unable to Gain Admittance at Initial Performance in New Playhouse.


Camp Lee's Liberty Theater, opened last Sunday, has proved so popular with the selectives that the folks back home may rest assured that the Smileage they've sent here is being used with the greatest thankfulness by the Nationals. So great was the crowd when the theater opened that several thousand couldn't get in. But in five performances nearly every one got an opportunity to see the show.

"Princess Pat" played Sunday and Thursday, inclusive. To-night, "Fair and Warmer" goes on, playing tomorrow and Sunday also. The attraction beginning Monday and ending it engagement a week from Sunday will be "Flora Bella", and following that company immediately will be the Liberty Comedy Company with "Baby Mine" and "Kick In".

Long before the show opened Sunday night the soldiers began gathering about the new theater exchanging Smileage for tickets - that is, the fortunate ones. The others parted with real money for the pasteboards. About 3,000 - the first arrivals - were admitted, and an equally large number had to be turned away. Approximately one-half the admissions were paid for with smileage.

Two windows are being used for tickets. At one the Smileage is exchanged, and at the other those with money pay their admissions. If those with Smileage will themselves tear out the coupons - five nickel coupons for a 25-cent seat, ten for a 50-cent seat - they will greatly facilitate the sale of tickets by saving much time. There is no special window for officers. The box-office is open each afternoon from 4 o'clock.

Beginning to-night, every seat will be numbered, every seat reserved, and every ticket will bear a coupon.

The first show was well received. The soldiers were generous in their applause, and encores were numerous.

The music, furnished by an orchestra composed of soldiers from various units of the division did wonderfully well.

Little confusion attended the opening of the playhouse. From Manager Jacobsen to the door tender, every attache had things well in hand, and everything went off on schedule time, the curtain going up even a few minutes in advance of the prearranged time, 7:30.

At some of the camps, it is said, on the opening nights crowds stormed the theaters, breaking doors and damaging the front of the houses. there was nothing approaching disorder here. The fellows who weren't fortunate enough to be admitted considered themselves "out of luck," as the army says, and let it go at that. The men who were able to get in behaved themselves, as was to be expected, with perfect propriety.


Convalescent Barracks and Recreation Building to Be Erected at Base Hospital


Envy the convalescent. In the hot summer days that are to come - even in Virginia - he is going to have the best of everything. Not only are barracks being built near the base hospital for him, but the latest gift of the Red Cross, a building where he may spend his days at ease, is to be erected also. And here he may watch his sunburned comrades drilling in the heat, while he reclines in a shaded sun parlor and talks with his friends.

The convalescent barracks, twelve two-story buildings, are to house the Nationals recovering from illness but not yet strong enough to return to their regiments. They are being constructed near the extension of Twenty-seventh Street, just beyond the hospital, in the edge of the woods.

The barracks will lie almost parallel to each other, but with their ends forming a sort of wide crescent. In this crescent, surrounded by grass and trees, the Red Cross House will be built.

The building itself is in the shape of a Geneva cross, the symbol of mercy, which in a thousand ways means so much to the soldier. Two of the projections will be for reading and writing, the others for sun parlors.

There are to be easy chairs and writing desks, a stage for entertainers and every comfort that can be provided. Nurses will be present to care for the men not strong enough to journey alone.

C. C. Pinckney, Red Cross field agent, who is arranging for the construction of Camp Lee's building - one is to be erected in every camp - plans to have singers and other entertainers make life as pleasant as possible for the convalescents.

The site of the house, and of the barracks, too, is covered with brush and trees just now. These will have to be cleared away, but every tree that can be saved will furnish shade to the sick later in the season.

All the thought isn't being put on summer days, however. Next winter may be just as cold as this one and so there are to be great open fireplaces before which the men can sit next year. First-Nighters Flock to Show


Long search Finally Reveals Story, Despite Reticence of Brigade Commander.


On the right of a long line of service ribbons decorating the service coat worn by Brigadier-General Lloyd M Brett, permanent commander of the 160th Infantry Brigade and temporarily in command of the 80th Division, is a strip of light blue, sprinkled with stars. So far as is known it is the only one of the kind in the 80th Division. It indicates that General Brett is the holder of the Congressional Medal of Honor, awarded solely in recognition of conspicuous bravery in action - the most coveted decoration known to the United States Army.

The division commander's other ribbons are indicative of service in the Indian wars, in Cuba and in the Philippines. But none of these mean so much as does the one of blue, with stars that holds the post of honor on the right. Neither have they been the cause of any special inquiry. But the blue ribbon has aroused the curiosity of perhaps a large majority of those whose eye it has caught, including, especially, the young [illegible] to the military service.

Few Know Story

Some, particularly civilians, have been so bold as to inquire of General Brett himself the meaning of the ribbon of blue, with stars. In return they obtained no enlightenment. Inquiry made of other officers, those of the regular army, was met with reply that the wearer had earned the Medal of Honor. Nothing more was forthcoming. Why? Because those to whom the inquiry was addressed were not in possession of the facts.

General Brett - reluctantly, to be sure - has been know to speak. He delivered memorable addresses at the exercises held by the 319th Infantry in honor of the memory of General Robert E. Lee, and at the exercises on the occasion of the birthday anniversary of Abraham Lincoln, conducted by the 159th brigade. He has also been known to speak - and not reluctantly - when he has noticed anything unmilitary on the drill field or elsewhere in the division. But --

General Keeps Silence.

Regarding that Medal of Honor General Brett positively will not speak. He is modesty personified when the subject in mentioned. He merely, and finally, ignores any and all questions asked him regarding it.

THE BAYONET, since its first issue, with characteristic enterprise, has been endeavoring to obtain the facts, but without success. The editor, quite by chance, dropped in at headquarters of the 160th Brigade to see the brigade adjutant, Major C. Fred Cook, National Army, and quite by chance inquired of the latter if he knew the story of the Medal of Honor regarding which there was so much interest and absolutely no knowledge. major Cook happened to know, and having had long newspaper experience, gave the story, which is not a long one.

Questions of No Avail.

"I have never been able to induce General Brett to disclose the facts regarding the occurrence which earned for him the medal of honor," Major Cook explained. "During the five years he was on duty with the District of Columbia militia, as its adjutant-general, I was very closely associated with him in a military way, and repeatedly, and with all the ingenuity and diplomacy I possessed, endeavored to learn the facts.

"I later spent some time with General Brett when he was commandant at Fort Yellowstone and superintendent of Yellowstone National Park. Again I endeavored to obtain from him something about the decoration in question. The effort was useless, but I did not acknowledge defeat. I searched the records and made inquiry of every officer I met who had served with General Brett in the West. In that way I was rewarded. The story is best told when simply told. It is this:

"Lloyd H Brett, then a young second lieutenant in the Second United States Cavalry, participated in most of the severe Indian campaigns of the late 70's and early 80's. In the battle of O'Fallan's Creek, Montana, in April, 1880, a detachment of the Second Cavalry, after a long, wearisome pursuit, overtook a large brand of hostile Sioux.

Braved Sioux Fire.

"Lieutenant Brett was in command (Continued on Third Page.)


French Artillerist Arrives, Also, as Instructor.

Lieutenant Hugh Aird, of the 78th Canadians; Lieutenant G. Bellanger, of the French army, and Sergeant H. Minter, of the Canadian forces, are new arrivals at Camp Lee, and are acting as instructors in the divisional school of arms.

Lieutenant Aird, assisted by Sergeant Minter, has been in charge of the sniping section of the school. Lieutenant Bellanger, who came here from Fort Sill, Okla., has taken Lieutenant Emile Schloessing's place as artillery instructor.


Infantry and Artillery Commanders Go Over Ground to Be Consolidated by Troops.


Commanding officers of the 317th and 318th Infantry have worked out their field orders for the part their commanders are to play in the big divisional tactical problem. For the last week officers, noncommissioned officers and details of the regiments have been studying the order and making a thorough study of the territory assigned them.

Theoretically, the 317th Infantry will consolidate the position between Deep Creek and Frog Creek, when, also theoretically, the Tenth Army Corps relieves the Eleventh Corps, which will be assumed to have checked an attack delivered by the Virginia Reds from a base at Norfolk.

The 317th Regiment will entrench on Cold Hill Ridge and will occupy the entire front line of the section assigned to the 159th Infantry Brigade, while the 318th is to be held in reserve. However, while the 318th Regiment, theoretically, will be behind the front line, it is quite likely that that command will work with the 317th on the front line, in order to give the men of the 318th as much training as possible.

While the 159th Brigade has been working out its problems, the commanders and officers of the 160th Infantry Brigade and 155th Field Artillery Brigade have been doing similar work in preparation for the division tactical maneuver.

Sectional maps have been provided to all of the organizations and in the artillery especially, battery commanders' details have been busy for several days deciding upon their routes of communication and preparing thoroughly for every condition that may confront them in the relief of the Eleventh Army Corps.


Silver Cup Is Offered Winner of Big Event.

All social interests in the Y. M. C. A. are centered in the big musical to be given in the auditorium Monday evening. The program will consist of a chorus contest between the different Y. M. C. A. buildings, and the best singing organization is to receive a silver cup. The songs to be sung will include many old-time favorites, along with "Keep the Home Fires Burning".

The soloists who will assist will be Mrs. Anna Reinhardt James, violinist, of Norfolk, and Mrs. Frances West Reinhardt, soprano, of Richmond.

The program will be under the direction of Chrystal Brown, song leader and social secretary of the Y. M. C. A.


Four Infantry Regiments Get First Tryout on Range.

The first use of the division rifle range on a large scale will be made today, when the Nationals of the four infantry regiments will fire their Enfields for the first time. The range is one of the largest in the country, few being able to accommodate two brigades at the same time.


Pittsburgh Executive and Party Live in Camp, Guests of 319th Infantry.


Mayor E. V. Babcock, of Pittsburgh,is visiting in camp. Accompanied by his wife and a number of other prominent Pittsburgers they arrived here yesterday to spend several days with the soldiers from back home. While in camp they will be the guest of Colonel Frank S. Cocheu, the commanding officer of the 319th Infantry, and the officers of that unit. Colonel O. E. Hunt, the commander of the 320th Infantry, is also taking an active part in the Mayor's entertainment.

In the party are Mrs. Babcock, the wife of the Mayor; Addison C. Gumbert, the chairman of the board of county commissioners of Allegheny County; Mrs. Gumbert, Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Alderdice, the former being a Pittsburgh steel man and the chairman of the appellate draft board of Allegheny County, and Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Sands. They are the parents of Captain John W. Sands, commanding officer of the headquarters company, 319th Infantry Regiment.

The visitors are living in camp, one of the officers' quarters of the 319th Regiment being turned over to them during the stay here. In entertaining the Pittsburgers, Colonel Cocheu and his officers are reciprocating the generous treatment accorded them on the occasion of their visit to Pittsburgh for the "mothers of the regiment" celebration earlier in the month.

Last night the visitors were guests of the 319th Regiment at an entertainment given in the Y. M. C. A. auditorium, the talent being composed of men in the ranks. There were vaudeville acts, singing by the regiment and stirring music by the regimental band. This morning exhibition drills in the manual of arms, bayonet combat, gas mask drills and drilling will be given by the different companies of the 319th Regiment. This afternoon at 1 o'clock the soldiers of the 319th Regiment will assemble at the Y. M. C. A. auditorium, where they will be addressed by Mayor Babcock and County Commissioner Gumbert. Later there will be a regimental parade by the men of Allegheny County's own, which will be reviewed by the visitors.

Colonel Hunt and officers of the 320th Regiment and officers from the 315th Machine Gun Battalion [several words illegible] up largely of Pittsburgers, as well as enlisted men, have been invited to attend the meeting which will be addressed by Mayor Babcock.

This evening the visitors from Pittsburgh, together with Colonel Hunt and officers from the 320th Infantry and the 315th Machine Gun Battalion will be guests of Colonel Cocheu at a dinner which will be served in the officers' mess of the 319th Infantry. Brigadier-General Lloyd M. Brett, the commander of the 160th Brigade, will also be a guest at the dinner, and has been invited to the meeting this afternoon.

Mayor Babcock will spend to-morrow with the officers and the soldiers of the 320th Infantry.

Mayor Babcock came here from Palm Beach, Fla., where he has been spending a short vacation with his family.


Division Headquarters Sends Remonstrance to Washington.

The protest made by Petersburg pastors, the Protestant army chaplains and the camp Y. M. C. A. against Sunday theatricals in camp, has been forwarded to Washington for action. Division headquarters has taken no action, on the ground that contracts have been made for the appearance of shows here on Sunday, and that the division has no authority to act.

No decrease was noted in church attendance by soldiers last Sunday night in Petersburg and, according to the street car company, traffic was never heavier. Not more than a tenth of the soldiers in camp could attend the theater at one time.


Students at Training Camp Undergo Rigid Examinations. Some are Sent Back to Companies After Hearing Before Rejection Board.

Conversations among the students of the Line Officers' Training Camp last Saturday ran something like this:

"How did you answer that second question?"

"It was the only one that I didn't answer."

"I didn't answer it either, but take it from a candidate for anything from a brigadier-general up, I wrote catalogues on all the others."

The first semicamp examination, covering the work done in the camp since its organization in January, was held Saturday morning. The test was a stiff one, and the average time it took to answer the ten questions was a little over three hours.

Ten questions were asked, six on the infantry drill regulations and four on the small arms firing manual in the infantry section of the school.

Examinations, however, lost their novelty long ago for the candidates in the officer's training school. It has been the rule ever since the school began to give a written test every Saturday on the week's work.

the marks made in these examinations are used each week by company commanders to grade their pupils, and so far 7.8 per cent of the original number who entered the school have, figuratively speaking, hit the wrong grade, the one which leads out of the school and back to the "old outfit." Of course, there have been other causes which have resulted in the dismissal of the candidates, but a specially low grade in the weekly tests is often a clue to either the candidate's unsuitability or unwillingness to continue the stiff pace which is necessary to make an army officer.

Before dismissal each candidate is called before a rejection board. This board questions him and gives him the opportunity to plead his case. In this way men, otherwise fitted to be officers, have been slated for rejection on account of low grade marks which were the result rather of their long absence from book study than any premeditated desire to shirk the work.


Division's Commander Returns After Studying Training Camp and Actual War Methods.


Major-General Adelbert Cronkhite, commanding the Eightieth Division, accompanied by Major George Lynch, assistant chief of staff, and Captain Armistead Dobie, General Cronkhite's aid, are back from their visit to the western front in France.

General Cronkhite and staff left Camp Lee November 26, and almost before the division realized it, word was received that he was back of the lines in France studying, that the Eightieth Division might profit, training camp and actual battle conditions.

During his absence, Brigadier-General Lloyd M. Brett, commander of the 160th Brigade, was in temporary command of the division.

The trip across the Atlantic which the general and his party made was not entirely without its thrills. When off the Irish coast, a ship was torpedoed two miles beyond them. in the convoy which took them over was the ill-fated Tuscania, which was torpedoed recently.

General Cronkhite arrived in New York Monday. He then proceeded to Washington, where he reported officially to the War Department upon what he had observed in France.

As a consequence of General Cronkhite's visit to Europe, it is expected that some changes in the training at Camp Lee will be effected. What there may be time alone will determine.

Captain Dobie preceded the general to Camp Lee by a few days.


Eight Heavy Boats, Besides Canvass Craft, Received.

The 305th Engineers have received eight heavy pontoons and a number of [illegible] canvass boats which completes their equipment of this sort.

Since the acquisition by the division of Dutch Island Gap for artillery fire purposes, it is probable that a pontoon bridge will be constructed across the James River at this point to shorten the distance of travel. Six miles would be cut off if this were done.


New Orchestra Plays for Commander of 317th.

While sitting at his desk Monday evening, Colonel Jamerson, commander of the 317th Infantry, was interrupted by strains of music directly under his window. He listened a moment, then called to Captain George, his adjutant: "Captain George, what is the occasion of the music?"

"Why, sir," returned the captain, "it sounds to me as though some of the men must be serenading the commanding officer."

Colonel Jamerson stepped to the door, and sure enough, there playing for him was a newly organized orchestra from Company A. After rendering a few delightful airs, the musicians were heartily thanked by Colonel Jamerson, who invited them to repeat the concert later.


Richmond Council to Furnish Talent at Auditorium.

An entertainment will be held at the main auditorium of the Knights of Columbus the evening of March 12. The talent for the occasion will be furnished by the members of Richmond Council No. 395, of the Knights of Columbus.


On the night of a recent minstrel show in Petersburg, a private entered one of the boxes with a magnificently bejeweled and befurred young lady on each arm. Lord Chesterfield had nothing on him for chivalrous bearing and grand, prodigious concern for the comfort of the ladies. They were conspicuously long in getting seated. Not being able to stand it any longer, or perhaps prompted by jealousy, a soldier in the balcony yelled down:

"That's all right, old top. You'll be washing dishes to-morrow!"

-- Battery B, 313th F. A.

This wins the $1 prize offered each week by THE BAYONET to the company correspondent sending in the best humorous story. The winner may get hit dollar by calling at THE BAYONET office.


Congress Provides Fund to Buy Land at Dutch Island Gap.


Artillerists of the 155th Field Artillery Brigade will be firing on a new range at Dutch Island Gap in about a month, if present plans do not miscarry.

Brigadier-General Gordon G Heiner has learned officially that Congress at last has made an appropriation covering the cost of the construction of the range, which is even now partly completed.

Already Dutch Island has been leased and converted into a target basket to receive the shells as they are hurled from the field pieces. The latest appropriation now makes possible the leasing of the ground from which the service firing will be conducted.

While the officers and gunners of the artillery brigade have attained a high degree of skill in the conduct and mechanism of fire as a result of the practice on the Rosewood range, the Dutch Island Gap range will make possible firing at a longer distance. There, also, it will be possible to work out more of the problems which simulate actual war conditions.


Thousand, All Told, Will Have Left in Big Exodus.

Within the last week several hundred enlisted men of Camp Lee, ordered discharges as "alien enemies," have left for their homes. due to paper work, it may be another week or more before the rest of the thousand men discharged on the same grounds can get away from camp.

Only a very few, less than a half dozen, are Germans, according to Major Bruce Campbell, head of the board which passed upon the applications for exemption.

It may be, according to Major Campbell, that there are still a number of men in camp who want to take advantage of the chance to be discharged, and it is probable that another board will be called to pass upon new cases.


Sent Home From Camp Kee, Still Would Serve U. S. A.

Peter Dorzuk, an Austrian shoemaker in Greensburg, Pa., is sorely disappointed that he was sent back home from Camp Lee because of physical disability. Notwithstanding the fact that his mother lives in Austria, Peter is stanchly [staunchly] for America and has declared his intention of bringing his mother to the land of the free when the war is over.

Before going to Camp Lee, Dorzuk invested his savings, amounting to several thousand dollars, in Liberty bonds. Realizing that his chances of meeting death in the army were greatly increased, Peter made a will before departing for Camp Lee, bequeathing "any and all properties or money or whatsoever of value he may have or possess at the time of his death to the United States government."


313th Attached to 159th Brigade - 314th to Division.

The following reorganization of machine-gun battalions was recently announced:

The 313th Machine-Gun Battalion transferred to the 159th Brigade.

the 314th Machine-Gun Battalion transferred to the Eightieth Division, and to the division machine-gun battalion. Company C, 314th Machine-Gun Battalion, transferred to the 315th Machine-Gun Battalion. The commanding officer, 314th Machine-Gun Battalion, authorized to transfer to Companies A and B a sufficient number of privates first class and privates from Company C to bring these companies to maximum strength.

Company C, 314th Machine-Gun Battalion, when transferred, will be Company D, 315th Machine-Gun Battalion.


Part of Gains Held to Supply cigarettes When Outfit Goes to France.


The announcement in last week's BAYONET that post exchange profits at Camp Lee since their organization up to January 31 had reached the surprising figure of $215,000, has caused not a little speculation as what this money will be used for.

Regulations provide a number of ways for the disposal of post exchange profits, and chief among these if the use of such funds for the improvement of company messes. According to Captain Harvey H. Hughes, division exchange officer, this use will not be recommended, since mess allowances have proved sufficient to provide satisfactory mess, and at the same time leave a monthly profit of approximately $50,000 in the division.

A large part of the fund at the order of Major-General Adelbert Cronkhite will be set aside for a tobacco fund to be used when the division gets on the other side. The obtaining of tobacco and smokes on the other side is not the same easy matter that it is in America, and for this reason it is General Cronkhite's wish that the fund be reserved for this purpose.

While last week's statement showed that only $27,000 in dividends had been declared to various organizations, this money was all used to excellent advantage. The third group of Depot Brigade bought musical instruments for the band at a cost of $1,700.

The 317th and 318th Infantry Regiments have both bought hundreds of dollars' worth of baseball equipment, which includes uniforms for both company and regimental teams and also playing equipment.

Other regiments will spend large sums for baseball equipment, and already preparations are being made to declare dividends to some that have formally put in requisitions for the necessary funds.

Besides baseball equipment the Post Exchange Council has practically decided to convert, with exchange profits, a portion of the 305th Engineers drill grounds into a permanent baseball diamond, to be used by the divisional team. It is expected that [illegible] of league teams will stop at Camp Lee and stage some big league baseball for the benefit of the men of this division. Plans are already on foot to bring the Philadelphia Athletics here.

Other uses for the exchange profits which Captain Hughes probably will recommend to the Post Exchange Council will be the expenditure of small sums by separate companies in their various plans for company entertainments, such as dances, dinners and similar company affairs.

The following officers were instrumental in the compilation of the detailed statement of the post exchanges printed in last week's BAYONET: Lieutenant Michaelo Angelo, auditor; Lieutenant E. E. Plumley, price statistician, and Lieutenant W. A. Clark, Captain Hughes's assistant. Private W. H. Chandler was also employed on the statement.


Major Brown Makes Second Trip to Camp Lee, 80 Miles in Fifty Minutes.


One swallow may not make a summer, but the return last Monday of the birdman who visited Camp Lee last fall is a plausibly sure sign that spring is here.

Monday's visit was Major Roy S. Brown's second one to Camp Lee. His first visit from Langley Field, Hampton, Va., was made Sunday, November 11. He was accompanied by Lieutenant Robert Carolin, and the eighty miles was made in approximately seventy minutes.

the trip Monday was made in the fast time of fifty minutes. Major Brown was accompanied this time by Sergeant W. B. Volkmer, of the 119th Aero Squadron, as mechanician.

The machine was first observed about 1:30 as it came up out of the north. It showed a decided fondness for division headquarters, and circled this spot a number of times before finally selecting a landing place on the 305th Engineers' drill grounds, back of the headquarters' troop barracks. The machine was still hitting the high spots on the drill field, and had not come to a stop before the surrounding fields were filled with soldiers rushing from every direction after the big plane.

To keep the crowd at a respectable airplane distance a squad of men from the 317th Infantry was called out. They were also kept busy stopping innumerable attempts to photograph the machine, which is against the censorship rules of the government.

Major Brown stopped to pay his respects to Brigadier general Brett, but found that he was in Washington. Brigadier General Heiner and other officers of the division met the major, and he was in their company before starting back at 4:30 for Langley Field.