Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Frantz - McCauley family papers, Letter 1864 Aug 4

image 2 of 3
more information: digital collection

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

So we may get into a fight soon. If we do have to go on the field of bloodshed & death, I trust the same God that has always shielded me in his kind Providence will still throw His protecting arms around me & preserve me from all danger. Nevertheless if it is His holy will that I should fall I trust in his Grace to Sustain me. I haven't reported to the Dr. yet for a transfer to Cavalry but will this evening or in the morning. I am afraid I will stand a poor chance. My wound unfortunately (for a transfer) has about healed There are 7 with the Co. now. Contrary to my expectations they all came out of Maryland. They have been in two fights since they left Roanoke - none of them hurt - two of them captured down near the river, Caldwell & Hardbarger. I hope Providence will protect us from this on, for we have seen a hard time heretofore. Mr. Foster is with the reg't - in pretty good health. He was in Roanoke with the reg't - says he couldn't get a pass to go to our house & wanted to go very badly too. I rec'd a letter from Emory yesterday. He is week [sic]. going to run for third Lieutenant. If he can get that I think he had better stay there than to get a transfer.