Making History: Transcribe is made possible in part by federal funding provided through the Library Services and Technology Act program administered by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

"First Presybertian Church in Tour" by Mrs. R. C. Edmunds.

image 6 of 7

Zoom in to read each word clearly.
Some images may have writing in several directions. To rotate an image, hold down shift-Alt and use your mouse to spin the image so it is readable.

This transcription is complete!

page - 6 - The church had evangelistic services in 1927, 1932, 1934, 1938, 1940, and 1942. An evangelist couple of the family of Thomas Dixon, author of THE CLANSMAN, the source of the popular BIRTH OF A NATION movie, had a series of sermons. Dr. Blanton Belk of Grace Covenant Church came later. In 1946 Dr. Kirkpatrick left to become a speech professor at the Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, where he made a name for himself. His wife, a Converse graduate in music, had been the best piano teacher to date in South Boston. She now relished the European master classes of John Powell. Her husband recorded his masterly lectures. Besides, Dr. Kirkpatrick started a radio station at U.T.S., broadcasting classical music, which the city's musicians applauded. A full-page newspaper account, when Dr. Kirkpatrick retired, records the city's gratitude. His successor, the handsome, personable and bold John Brown, worked with the AA here, as well as other groups. In Richmond, when he became pastor of the Ginter Park Presbyterian Church, which had 17 minister members on its rolls, he made a name for himself. His twins became doctors, the other son a minister. When he had a terminal illness, more than a hundred volunteers gave blood, the largest group in the history of their blood bank.. He was followed by Rev. Dr. W. W. Glass, who stayed here from 1953 until 1972, when he retired. He was popular with other denominations and in Masonic circles. He had the rare gift of presenting provocative sermons each Sunday. In 1973 a former professional football star, Rev. Glenn Bass, came. Dr. Stephen Bradley has been here since 1978. Mrs. Harriet Crews Holt played for over 200 weddings here before retiring. There were 250 members here by the 1942 Centennial. Dr. Benjamin Lacy of U.T.S. officiated as impressively as had Dr. Moses D. Hoge in 1877. A Richmond neighbor of Dr. Lacy described him as having the gift to say the right thing in the right place, better than any person whom she knew.