and painting grace the ample walls, and Bruce books line the library shelves.
The main floor rooms are large and high-ceiled, while those upstairs are somewhat lower. The second floor claims the single most interesting room in the mansion - the morning room. Overlooking the portico and spacious lawn, the ladies of the house could sit here and sew and still see guests approaching on the ailanthus drive.
James Coles Bruce was a man of exquisite tastes, so it was only natural that silver would play a large role in his house. During the Bruce occupancy the mansion was noted for the extraordinary collection of silver housed within it. Besides the usual candelabra, coffee services, flatware, and serving pieces, there were plates, goblets, finger bowls, and such; and massive washstand sets of the previous metal in every bedchamber. A large portion of the silver is thought to have been designed by Mr. Bruce himself.
The Bruces are gone now, and with them nearly all the silver, but it remains in every room in the form of plated hardware on doors, windows, and blinds, and in the small round bell pulls, tarnished now from lack of use.
The mansion is flanked by the plantation office and the billiard parlor, four-columned miniatures of the "big house" that face each other across the wide, circular drive. They, too, are original, having been built in 1770, and remodelled.
Connected to the back of the main house are a glass walled observatory, built at ground level to allow for the