pew 54 - the marriage of her daughter Sarah to the Hon. James Alexander Seddon, Secretary of War of the Confederacy, was the first solemnized in the church.
The Seddons lived for a time in the house on Clay Street known as the White House of the Confederacy. It was built in 1818 by Dr. John Brockenbrough, who sold it to James Morson, from whom the Seddons acquired it. Mr. Morson was a cousin of Mr. Seddon, and was married to Ellen Bruce, sister of Mrs. Seddon. Long recalled in Richmond were the gay parties given in the house, with the "lovely Bruce girls" as hostesses.
After Mrs. Bruce's death in 1859 her house was sold, and among those who occupied it prior to its destruction by fire in 1910 was the Hon. Alexander Stephens, Vice-President of the Confederacy.
In 1830 James Bruce had purchased from General Edward Carrington, nephew of his first wife Sally Coles, the old Coles-Carrington estate, Berry Hill, situated near the court house. The land had originally belonged to William Byrd II of Westover, to whom it was granted in 1728 by the Crown for his services in helping to draw the dividing line between Virginia and North Carolina.
William Byrd III