growth of the large plants the Bruces so loved, and the colonnade containing the house servants' rooms. A dozen or so dependencies, including the smoke house, ice house, ash house and stables, are in and around the back yard.
The vast grounds are shaded by a variety of trees, some of which have been estimated to be over 500 years old. Fine specimens of boxwood, both dwarf and tree, abound. Mrs. Alexander Bruce once sold slips from the magnificent hedge of tree box in the lower yard, above the cemetery, for several hundred dollars, quite a sum at the turn of the century! It is unfortunate that the finest of the tree box, that which lined the drive between the mansion and the billiard parlor, was destroyed about a decade ago.
The gardens, laid out in the early 1840's under the direction of Mrs. James Coles Bruce, covered about six acres, and stretched eastward from the mansion toward the cemetery. The large greenhouse was behind the office. As many as forty slaves at a time were required to maintain them, supervised by Mrs. Bruce and her gardner, a Mr. Graham.
Arranged on three terraces, the various beds were separated by cedar hedges and by gravel walks sixteen feet wide. Foreign as well as native flowers, many varieties of roses and shrubs, and lots of evergreens, abounded. Every tree had something planted beneath it to bloom in the spring.
After the Civil War, Alexander Bruce, then master of Berry Hill, felt it would be impossible to maintain the old gardens as his late mother would have wanted them, so he had