From Transcribe Wiki
Revision as of 15:41, 28 July 2017 by Cronanl1 (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search


mother, either or both, whether they are his own or his wife's grandparents. The ninth is: A soldier's father-in-law or mother-in-law, either or both. The tenth is: A soldier's grandchildren. The eleventh is: A soldier's step-father or step-mother, either or both. The twelfth is: A soldier's wife's step-father or step-mother, either or both. 9.--Q. What is the general distinction between the Class "A" and Class "B" dependents, so far as concerns the soldier's obligation to support them? A. A Class "A" dependent is a person legally entitled to look to the soldier for protection and support. A Class "B" dependent is one who, by reason of consanguinity, or near blood relationship, generally, or near blood relationship, generally, though not always, may be morally, though not always, may be morally entitled to the support of the soldier, when by reason of their physical or mental infirmities, or both, whether that dependency is caused by reason of extreme youth or old age, or whether through accident or misfortune, they have been rendered incapable or partially or wholly providing for themselves. 10.--Q. What is meant by the term "allowance" under this law? A. The "allowance" is sometimes called a "fifty-fifty" proposition. It is a sum of money, or contribution, by the government sent in addition to, and contingent upon, the soldier's allotment to his dependents. 11.--Q. Will the government make and send this allowance to the soldier's dependents unless it is claimed? A. No. The allowance must always be claimed either by the soldier or by some dependent permitted to claim it. In the case of Class "A" dependants, the right to claim the government allowance is shared by the soldier and by such Class "A" dependants. In the case of allowances provided for Class "B" dependants, this right can be exercised only by the soldier. If he wants his Class "B" dependants to receive the government allowance, he must claim it. 12.--Q. Is it possible for the soldier's dependants, either in Class "A" or Class "B" to receive the government allowance unless the soldier first makes a proper allotment of his pay? A. No. The government will not make the allowance unless the soldier has first made the proper allotment of his pay to secure it. Where a soldier has neglected to state that he has Class "A" dependants, and those dependants make a claim for the government allowance, which, as explained in A-11 above they can do, the soldier will be compelled to make the proper allotment of his pay, so that his Class "A" dependants may receive their proper allowance, whether he wishes to do so or not. Class "B" dependants, however, have no legal right to claim allowance from the government, and the soldier cannot be compelled to make an allotment to them, or claim an allowance for them by reason of such allotment. 13.--Q. If the soldier has no dependants in Class "A", but has dependants in Class "B," can he be compelled to make an allotment to such Class "B" dependants, or to make any allotment at all? A. No. So long as the soldier has no dependants in Class "A", he cannot be compelled to make any allotment to Class "B" dependants. 14.--Q. Can the soldier without dependants of any sort retain all of his pay if he wishes? A. At present he can. Under this law, however, the government may withhold an amount not in excess of one-half of his pay, which amount will be retained on deposit at interest by the government and paid to the soldier or to his estate upon his discharge or at the end of the war. The law says that the Secretary of War shall have the right to demand this compulsory deposit from the soldier when in his discretion, the conditions are such as to require it, and under such regulations as the secretary may prescribe. But this compulsory deposit cannot be required of the soldier if the soldier has previously made allotments either for his dependants, or for Liberty bonds or insurance, amounting to one-half or more of their pay either for the support of their relatives and dependants or for insurance premiums, or when they do so for the patriotic purpose of purchasing Liberty bonds. This right has not as yet, been exercised by the Secretary of War, and it may or may not be exercised in the future. 15.--Q. How does the soldier determine the amount of allotment which will have to be deducted from his pay to secure the full government allowances? A. The amount of allotment which the soldier must make depends both upon the class in which his dependents fall and their number. The amount of the soldier's allotment necessary to receive allowances must at all times equal as nearly as is possible the amount of the government allowance for such dependents, except that if the soldier has only Class "A" or Class "B" dependents, the minimum, or smallest allotment, which he can make in such case is $15, and the maximum, or largest amount, which he need allot is one-half of his monthly pay. 16-Q. If the soldier is a private and has dependants in Class "A" alone, what would be the proper amount of his allotment? A. If the soldier is a private, his monthly pay is $30. If he has a wife, who is a Class "A" dependent, and for whom the government allowance is $15 per month, the soldier must in this case equal the amount of the government allowance, but is, at the same time, one-half his pay, or the largest amount he need allot, and is also the minimum or smallest amount permitted-that is, $15. If the soldier is a private and has a wife and one child, both of whom are Class "A" dependents, his monthly allotment to secure the government allowance would still be $15, irrespective of the fact that the monthly government allowance to a wife and one child is $25, and more than the $15 which the soldier is required to allot to secure the $25 allowance. The reason that the allowance is still $15, although the allowance is $25, is because the $15 is, according to the rule, the minimum allotment, or $15, and also the maximum, he need allot, or one-half his pay, $15; and at the same time, is the amount which most nearly equals the amount of the government allowance, $25, without exceeding one-half of the soldier's pay. 17-Q. If the soldier is a sergeant and has a wife, what would be the proper allotment? A. The pay of a sergeant is usually $38 per month. The wife of the soldier in this case, as in the case of the private, is a Class "A" dependent, and the government allowance to a wife is, in all cases, $15, irrespective of the rank or pay of the soldier. The sergeant would, therefore, be required to allot the same as the private, or $15 monthly, because this amount equals the amount of the allowance, and is the minimum allotment permitted. A sergeant having only a wife is not required to allot the largest, or maximum, amount required to secure allowances in some cases, because one-half his pay, $19, is more than the amount of the government allowance, and in no case is the soldier, no matter how large his pay, required to exceed the amount of the government allowance. 18-Q. If the sergeant had a wife and one child, would his allotment still be $15 a month, if he wished to secure the allowance for them? A. N., His allotment would in that case be $19 per month, because the government allowance to a wife and one child totals $25, and $19 per month is as near as the sergeant can equal $25 without exceeding one-half of his pay. 19-Q. Is the rule applied in the case of a first-class private, or a corporal, having a wife and a child in the same manner as it is to a sergeant? A. Yes. The first-class private having a wife and child would be required to allot $16.50 per month to secure the $25 allowance for his wife and child. The corporal, whose pay is $36, would be required to allot $18. The rule as stated and applied in the case of the private and sergeant, with a wife alone, or with a wife and child, applies in the same manner and with the same force to every soldier, and the amounts of the proper allotments differ only as the pay is larger or smaller, and as the government allowance claimed is greater or smaller than one-half of the soldier's pay. 20-Q. If the soldier has no Class "A" dependents, but has dependents in Class "B" for whom he wishes to claim and receive allowances, how will he determine the proper amount of allotment to secure the allowance? A. The rule in this case is much the same as when the soldier has Class "A" dependents alone. The minimum allotment he can make, $15, is exactly the same. The maximum allotment is also the same-that is, one-half of his pay-and he must always equal as nearly as possible the total government allowance. 21-Q. For an example, take the case of a private who has a brother dependent upon him, and for whom he wishes to secure the government allowance? What would be the amount of his allotment, and why? A. The pay of a private is $20. The government allowance for a brother is $5 per month. The proper allotment for the soldier to make would be $15. This is the minimum allotment which can be made to secure any allowance where the soldier has dependents in only one class, either Class "A" or Class "B" dependents, where the soldier has no wife at all, or where he has been divorced from his wife and no alimony has been granted her. 22-Q. Is there any similar case to that stated in 21 with reference to determining proper allotments for Class "A" dependents?