KNOW YOU LEAGUE PROGRAM LESSON VIII Department of Public Welfare in Government Women in Industry 1. For what purpose does the League of Women Voters have a committee on Women in Industry?
Because it believes that problems which affect women in industry, such as wages, hours of labor, conditions in factories, industrial hazards, occupational diseases, workmen;s compensation, etc. should be studied and understood by voters with a view to correcting discrimination against women and exploitation of women engaged in industrial pursuits.
2. Is the Virginia League supporting on its active program any legislative measure at this time
relating to Women in Industry? Nothing except adequate appropriations fro Women's and Children's Division of the Department of Labor and Industry.
3. What phase of the subject is being studied by the Virginia League? The Relation of Virginia
Laws on Women in Industry to the recent industrial development of the State.
4. How long has this been on the study program? 5. Name some of the principal Virginia laws affecting women in industry? 6. Explain each. (See Sec, 1808 of Code of Va). (See Sec. 107 of Code of Va). (See Sec.
1822, Code of Va).
7. How do the laws of Virginia compare with the standards set up by the Women's Bureau of the
United States Department of Labor?
8. How long may women work in Virginia industries? 9. What are the chief industries in Virginia in which women are engaged? 10. What is the total number of wage earners employed in the industries of Virginia? ____(in
1927. How many of these are women? ___How many white women?___How many are colored? ___
11.Name some of the new industries in Virginia? See address of John Hopkins Hall, entitled,
12.To what extent are they employing women?