- 6 -
2. The county clerk in Augusta County has been given certain managerial functions, primarily fiscal in nature.
3. The auditor in Pittsylvania County was given rigid budget control and made adviser to the board of supervisors.
4. The engineer in Albemarle, Fairfax, and Washington counties has been given some managerial functions, largely of a fiscal nature.
Report of the Commission on County Government. Chs. II and VIII.
University of Virginia news Letter, February 1, 1933, and May 1, 1933.
Note: The other reports may be read in full but their main recommendations have been itemized in this outline for the reader whose time is limited. The reports are listed by title in the augmented bibliography.
Questions for discussion:
1. What are the objectives being sought by the various proposals to reform county government?
2. Wake a case for county consolidation; also for its alternative, consolidation of functions.
3. Show how an adequate budget plan is essential to efficient county government.
4. From the study you have made what would you consider the essential features for a model county government?
5. How does your own county measure up to this model?
V. The main features of the optional forms.
A. County Executive Form.
1. Board of Supervisors. a. To consist of not less than 3 nor more