Difference between revisions of ".MTE4NDY.NDk1NTg"
m (Protected ".MTE4NDY.NDk1NTg" ([Edit=Allow only administrators] (indefinite)))
Latest revision as of 15:34, 31 July 2018
74 [underline] PART 111. SECTION 4 THOMAS(5) CURTIS, FIFTH SON OF EDMUND(4) II.[/underline]
13. [underline]THOMAS 5 CURTIS,[/underline], fifth and youngest son of Edmund 4 Curtis II. (Edmund 3 I., Robert 2, Robert 1) by his third wife, Ann Drewry Curtis, was born July 25, 1774.
It seems appropriate to quote from the biological sketch about him in [underline]Virginia Baptist Ministers[underline] by James B. Taylor with an introduction by the Rev. J.B. Jeter D.D., copyrighted in 1859:
"Thomas Curtis was the youngest child of Edmund Curtis and Ann Drewry, and was born July 25, 1774 in that part of York County called Fishneck. In early life he was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade and continued in the city of Norfolk in that business until the year 1801. During this period in general his character was good excepting the practice of profanity in which he sometimes indulged.
In 1801, or about that time he purchased a farm in Warwick County and there removed, locating himself for life. A remarkable revival of religion was enjoyed in that region under the ministry of Elder Gayle and Matthew Wood, when more than three hundred were baptized. During this season, Elder Curtis was brought under a religious influence and professing religion, was baptized by one of the above named Ministers, in company with nearly seventy others, on the 14th of January 1805. He now became a changed man. It was soon apparent to this bretheren that he possessed qualifications for the deaconry; and this office was conferred upon him by Warwick Church, of which he was a member. This position he retained until called to the ministerial work.
When he first began to exercise his gift in addressing his fellowmen is not distinctly known, but on the 16th of August 1835 he was ordained into the ministry and entered upon the pastorate of Warwick Church. Here he was eminently useful. Amid all the distracting influences of Campbellism by which the mother church at Grafton was nearly torn to pieces he remained firm, resisting these influences and preserving the body with which he was identified in its purety and efficiency. Besides his labors in connection with the Warwick Church, he established a branch at Mulberry Meeting House and here preached twice every month.
Having entered the ministry late in life, he seemed intent on the best improvement of his time and talents.